
Hello, hello— I just wanted to share a little sewing update with everyone! I mentioned
here that I wanted to make a skirt from scratch now that I know how to use a sewing machine. So in case you don't read blog post titles, HERE IS THE SKIRT I MADE!

I got together with some of my favorite local bloggers a few weekends ago and we had a little sewing circle. I made this skirt using
this video tutorial and some guidance from
Miss Ladybird. I'm really glad I used a vintage sheet as the fabric— it's super unique and also a really cheap source of lots of fabric.


I also didn't want to ruin any "nice" fabric since I don't really know what I'm doing yet. I learned a lot from this project and I can't wait to make something a bit more fitted next time. I'm not too crazy about the cut of this skirt (it's A LOT of bulk in some places) AND I ended up making it a little shorter than I normally like. But I think it's a great beginner project— I definitely feel confident enough to take on some more complicated pieces now!
Also, I just want to say that hanging out with bloggers IRL is even cooler than you think it's going to be— I'm so thrilled to live near such talented and welcoming ladies!
Lauren also recently learned to sew and she is making a badass dress right now. I was pretty impressed with the knitting project that
Jen brought along— I have no skill in that arena so it was awesome to see in action.
Janae worked on some sketches for a future sewing project and
Aubrey came along to see what everyone else was up to + get inspired. And I believe
Sarah was on her way out when I got there but judging from her blog she made something amazing, too!


Seriously though, I've wanted to sew since I was like 10 and I'm so glad I finally dove in! I'm excited to learn everything I can— AND to have such an awesome support group! I'm glad so many people came along to the meetup on such short notice— I can't wait for the next time! I think I'm going to try some aprons or a dress next— who knows?!

Also, here is a bonus picture of Lladybird's cat— she is a grump. And here is another picture of the shoes that I'm in love with. Lastly, does anyone have any tips on beginner sewing blogs or projects? I'm all ears!

dress worn as a top: thrifted (originally AA) / skirt: made by me / blazer, tights: target / shoes: thrifted
Oh, and in case you were wondering— yes, I did lighten my hair! ;-)
Just a reminder: Google Reader is closing soon but you can

another way to stay updated:
No way, my post tomorrow is on the one hour skirt!! I realllly love the pattern on the sheet you used! Amazing idea :)
ReplyDeletechloe
www.bythelock.com
so funny that we made the same one— i checked yours out and i love it!
DeleteThe skirt is so awesome! I'm really inspired to try out that tutorial. I can use a good easy project right now because the dress is giving me some heartache.
ReplyDeleteI made a muslin and everything but the bodice is so super tight. I'm not sure if I have enough seam allowance to make it big enough so I might have to add some panels. I think I bit off more than I can chew!
buuuuuuut it sounds like you are learning a lot?! i bet the nest time you make a dress it will be a breeze after this one <3
Deleteand i still can't wait to see it!
Your skirt looks adorable! I really like the layered look over the dress, too. :) Good for you for taking that first step to learn sewing by just diving in! I love sewing clothes and wish I could make it a more regular hobby.
ReplyDeletexo Michelle
thanks, michelle! i'm hoping to make it a regular part of my week =]
DeleteCan I tell you how much I love your shoes?! The skirt is fabulous - what a great idea.
ReplyDeletethanks so much! i had a really great thrifting day recently and picked up so many good vintage shoes— they just don't make them like they used to ;-)
DeleteI'm' so jealous. I was telling my daughter I wish we had a sewing meetup here in Nashville and look I missed it. Probably because I don't have a blog. I have a shop on Etsy but have never gotten around to blogging. I follow Lauren so that's how I found your blog. Congrats on the sewing. I'm inspired to give it another go. I started a skirt and never finished it. Since I'm a fabric/pattern hoarder I have no excuse.
ReplyDeleteAs for beginner's patterns, I saw that Tilly has a new skirt pattern, the Miette, for beginners. Also, Simplicity has a line of Learn to Sew patterns that seem pretty simple. You could always stock up when JoAnn or Hobby Lobby has a .99 sale. Happy Sewing.
Tia
thanks, tia! i've heard about the miette— i will have to look into it. and i'd love to heck out your etsy shop! you should link me to it.
DeleteIt came out adorably pretty! I love it!
ReplyDeletethanks— i can't wait to make more!
DeleteI love it!!! It looks like part of the dress! I love reading stuff on the Sew Weekly for ideas, and I look for pattern sales at JoAnn's to buy. But I really need to sew more!
ReplyDeletei need to look into sew weekly! i feel like i've learned so much and i've only done like two projects!
Deleteoooooh ! I wanna do that. I am not really a seamstress...but I know how to work a machine and think maybe this would be a good starter project. Is it? That is such an adorable skirt! I feel suddenly inspired.
ReplyDeleteit's a *really* great starter project! the only change i would make it cutting the fabric longer but hey—gotta start somewhere. i did it one day and it was a breeze!
DeleteLove the print! Your so clever.
ReplyDeleteX
Molly
thecottagediaries.blogspot.co.nz
i want all my clothes to be made from vintage sheets now!
DeleteOh my! what a lovely skirt, the print looks very vintage!
ReplyDeleteWish I could sew. I draw a lot of designs of skirts and dresses but can't sew. I need to learn!
Halima
xx
you should totally learn! my only regret is that i didn't learn sooner!
DeleteOh wow, that's so awesome that you made this AND that you got to hang out with some bloggers in real life! I'm pretty much jealous of everything about this post. This skirt is lovely and and the entire outfit is adorable! I'm in love with all of these colors.
ReplyDeletethanks, elana! it was pretty dreamy! ps— love your blog, too!
DeleteI love the skirt and your hair and everything about you because you are the best.
ReplyDeleteTAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE
DeleteI LOVE YOU
I MISS YOU
SEE YOU SOOOOOON
Adorbell! My mom gave me her sewing machine but not her talent =( I need to start with something simple! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteCindy
www.newlywednutrition.net
i was so intimidated by the machine my friend recently gave me but i'm really glad i sucked it up and took an intro sewing class! i def recommend this project— go for it!
DeleteYour skirt looks great - you'd never know it was a vintage sheet :) I need to experiment more with my sewing machine too :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for linking up!
Sarah @ A Cat-Like Curiosity
thanks, sarah! i hope you do some experimenting— i'd love to see what ya make when you do!
DeleteI love this! I really wish I could have made it out, but I was so sick, and I'm sure you wouldn't have wanted sneezes and sniffles on your sewing projects.
ReplyDeleteI need to learn how to sew on elastic better. I AM TERRIBLE at it. TERRIBLE! Did I mention how terrible I was at it? How? Does...one?
I should probably look up a video tutorial.
i'm sorry to hear you were sick! we can always have a one on one sewing ~sesh if all the ladies can't come out =]
Deleteand this elastic was kind of just threaded through a seam— no sewing onto it required! but i do hope to learn in the future how to do that. . . so if you find a good video then let me know!
I just love your blog design nd style :D great great post.. new follower :D
ReplyDeletehttp://undefinedbluehoney.blogspot.com/
Debbiex
thanks so much! i'm glad you left your blog link— i can't wait to check it out!
DeleteI love it! It looks great on you. Good job. :)
ReplyDeletethanks so much! i can't wait to make one million more ;-)
DeleteSo adorable! You did an amazing job - the pattern is just perfect.
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Laura
http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/
thank you! it was such an easy pattern to "follow"— definitely the confident boost a beginner needs =]
DeleteI love using recycled and re-purposed fabric for sewing!
ReplyDeleteThat skirt is SO cute! It's funny, when you said it was made from a vintage sheet, the scene from The Sound of Music when she makes the kids clothes from curtains popped in my head. (Julie Andrews would be so proud).
ReplyDeletehaha i totally agree =]
Delete