Meet Shannon: The Coolest Person on Earth

In two weeks I will be flying to DC to visit my favorite person in the entire world— Shannon, who blogs over at Leaves & Flours. I'm so excited for this trip that I can barely even type this post up!

illustration by Ramsey Everydaypants

Our amazing friend Danny introduced us at a party in college and we were automatic friends. Smart, bubbly, hilarious, and endlessly talented— hanging out with Shannon was like finally being able to be best friends with myself. . I kid, I kid (but only kind of).


(matching haircuts and smirks)

It seems like I barely even knew her name when we were already planted on a quilt in my front yard munching on homemade chocolate chip cookies, talking feminism, and reading zines together. We put on endless bake sales, biked all over the city together, and even hopped onto a school bus with a dozen of our closest friends to explore the country.


(Shannon in ~the lab)

Shannon graduated before I did (can we say college victory lap for me? woo-hoo!) and moved 10 hours away to study marine environmental science (I told you she's a genius!). I missed having a baking-partner-in-crime but that's about the time that Shannon started her blog, so I at least got to keep up with all the beautiful desserts she was making.



I was only sightly surprised when she came home for winter break one year and announced she was leaving graduate school to become the head baker at a local shop. Seeing her pursue her passion gave me the courage to do the same. I landed a job at a local bakery soon after that. We'd always daydreamed about having a bakeshop together and even though we were still hundreds of miles apart I felt closer to her than ever.



I've been planning to visit Shannon in DC for over a year but it seems that job switching, moving cities, and general life just kept getting in the way. We both have pretty key roles at our jobs so it's hard to take time off. But I've finally got my plane ticket and a list of food to eat SO LOOK OUT WASHINGTON, HERE I COME!



I initially intended for this post to simply say "Hey y'all what should I see when I'm in DC?!" but then I got a little carried away and wrote this love letter. . . Sorry/not sorry! The only thing I can think about lately is eating pho for the first time, exploring a new city, exchanging pastry secrets, and giggling about our lives together— so that's what I'm blogging about.


(Us six months ago— just noticed we grew our hair out together, ha!)

Basically Shannon made me who I am and is my ~total BFF~ *for real* and I'm excited to spend my vacation with her! So now that you know everything you ever wanted to about me and my girl crush do you have any "must-see" recommendations for me? Any awesome friends with blogs I should check out? TELL ME ALL YOUR FEELINGS!

Photo credit: All the lovely dessert pictures are from Shannon's blog! 

Just a reminder: Google Reader is closing soon but you can Follow on Bloglovin another way to stay updated:

♥ bloglovin // facebook // twitter // tumblr // rss // email ♥

12 comments:

  1. Thats such a sweet story. My college bestie also moved to DC after graduation. It's so good to check in every so often on where we left off. Have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i love having friends where when you are back together it's like nothing has ever changed!

      Delete
  2. Absolutely adorable love letter to your BFF, Jenna. It brought back so many good memories of me and mine when we were in high school together - walking barefoot all day, cycling into town, watching storms on the lakefront, sleeping in until noon.

    You're so lucky to be spending awesome time with yours this summer :) Have a blast.

    xx A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, alex! those sound like some amazing memories, too.

      Delete
  3. Have fun-fun-fun!! xx

    http://reindeertrails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two are so cute! And I love Shannon's blog <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are going to eat all the best food and see all the best things. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, this is so sweet! Have fun! I wish I had some recommendations for you, but I'm actually headed to DC for the first time myself later this month (so I'll probably stalking these comments for hints! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have fun in DC! I love stories like yours about friendships that would never lapse just because of distance or time spent apart. I hope you guys have a blast catching up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, lisa! i hope to see YOU sometime soon, too!

      Delete