I found this long plain cream skirt at a thrift store a few months ago for a few bucks and snatched it up. Since I finally learned to use a sewing machine, I thought I would just hem it up and then have a nice basic khaki skirt that I could wear a million ways.
But then I realized that was boooooring! And also when the heck do I ever wear khaki? So I started thinking about how I could refashion my new boring thrift find. I came across this skirt and fell in love with the beautiful golden mustard color + I'm a sucker for polka dots and I just knew I had to have my own.
I figured I could get a nice golden color using a natural, homemade dye instead of buying any. I thought turmeric would make a nice dye so I poked around on the internet, found this article for reference, and then dove right in.
I ended up boiling my skirt in 12 cups water + 3/4 c. salt for one hour. After it cooled, I made a fresh pot with 14 cups water + 1/2 cup turmeric + a splash of vinegar. I brought it to a boil, simmered for 15 minutes, added my still wet skirt, and simmered for 45 minutes— stirring occasionally to get an even dye job. When it was done, I removed it from heat and let it cool before rinsing it out.
Next, I machine washed it to make sure all the turmeric was rinsed out. Then I ironed it, hemmed it up, and added some oversized polka dots with big round sponge + some fabric paint. I had to go back and fill in the dots with a paint brush to get the coverage I wanted, but I kind of figured that would happen.
I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out! The fabric paint dried a little stiffer than I thought it would but I also haven't washed the skirt since I added the polka dots so I'm not sure if that will make a difference . . . (And now y'all know that I'm one of those nasty people that wears things one million times before washing it. . . sorry not sorry— I ain't got time for that!)
Anyway, I ended up learning a lot from this project and now I have a cute new skirt! This is actually what I wore to a Nashville blogger meetup we had awhile back— Nick was kind enough to snap a few photos of me before I headed out for fun.
Have you ever used plant based dyes for anything? I'm really curious to try more in the future— I feel like beets would make a gorgeous color?! I recently went through my closet and now I have a little pile of projects to work on so hopefully I will get my butt in gear and have more refashions to show you soon!
I hope you all have a great weekend! -jenna
This is amazingly beautiful and so are you! I would never have seen the potential in that skirt, but you made it into a super cute skirt. I love that you used tumeric.
ReplyDeleteSHUT UP that is so cute! And so YOU! I actually like it way better than the inspiration. Awesome job, now make me one ;)
ReplyDeleteI love it! And you are so right about the quality posts vs. quantity posts... I hang on your every word and photo. :)
ReplyDeleteTHIS IS SO ADORABLE! Why you have to be so cute all the time?!
ReplyDeleteOK! I AM OBSESSED WITH YOUR SKIRT! I want to do that like now! Polka dots and mustard tones are both weaknesses of mine, so it seems this may be something I need to try soon. I love the idea of using natural dyes. How pochahontas of you!
ReplyDeleteit turned out so good. I love it. Very cute
ReplyDeleteLove the changes! Khaki is not my thing. School uniforms will do that to ya. Though, I wonder if I have any lying around to try this on!?
ReplyDeleteWhat a babe!
ReplyDeleteIf I try this, a disaster will happen! I am too clumsy. Anyway, well done! Great job you've done :)
ReplyDeleteFirst up, adora-balls skirt makeover. I was blown away that you used turmeric to dye it. I am all for that. Amazing. Now I just need to think of something that would come out purplish ... Nevermind - beets! Yes.
ReplyDeleteSecondly, THANK. YOU. I only wash clothes if they smell bad or look dirty. With the exception of undergarments of course. I hate laundry.
thanks— i hope you get to try your own garment makeover! and i am in the laundry hate camp as well! who are we kidding— washing things after one wear?! NO THANK YOU
DeleteSo cute!
ReplyDeleteI really like that the color turned out a bit Limey. Is that just my monitor? It's such a cool color! I never even thought of using plant based dyes hmm. I think this could revive a favorite white shirt that has a small yellow mystery stain. I haven't worn it since I found the stain, but I can't bring myself to throw it away!
ReplyDeleteoh— yes! cover that stain right up, great idea! and this is definitely pretty mustard looking to me but maybe it's MY monitor?! ha
DeleteAdorable! Love the idea of using tumeric as a dye! It looks like a totally new skirt.
ReplyDeleteOh and I'm jumping on the "no washing unless it smells or is actually dirty", my old housemate used to wash everything after one wear, which just seems excessive!
This skirt is seriously so cute! You did such a fabulous job on it!
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Laura
lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com
It looks fantastic! Oh my gosh, SO adorable. I would totally wear this.
ReplyDeleteTrish
Wow, that is a brilliant skirt - so pretty, and I love it even more because it's died with tumeric! I'm going to have to try this, I'm eyeing up an old tan jacket now lol... and mentally thinking of anything else in my closet that needs a bit of mustard... :)
ReplyDeleteI've added your blog button to my page, I love it here :) www.coryographies.blogspot.com
Cute, cute, cute! I love the polka dots, what a great idea for a pretty plain skirt. I think I might try my hand at a sort of copy-cat skirt since I am something of a novice sewer and have yet to master the basic skirt.
ReplyDeleteI do know that you actually can't use beets to dye things. For whatever reason, the beet juice color doesn't absorb into fabrics, it'll wash right out. I kind of think it would be cool to give red wine a try, though!
-Laura
isasif.blogspot.com
whoa— thanks for the heads up! i just felt like they stained my kitchen so well before that they would have made a lovely dye! red wine is a great idea, i'll have to pick up a bottle or two next time i'm out. . .
DeleteYou did such an amazing job with this and I love it even more than the one it was modeled after! You are my idol for not only dyeing it but making your own natural dye. Looks great!!
ReplyDeleteI love this! It honestly looks better than the original inspiration skirt. I've never tried fabric dyes because I know I can be disastrously messy, but I love the idea of natural dyes. That color is beautiful! I've been planning a DIY pair of polka dot jeans with white fabric paint, so now I'm extra motivated!
ReplyDeleteYour skirt looks better than the inspirational one! I've never used a plant based dye, but thinking now I should try it out. Fantastic blog, BTW!
ReplyDelete-A fellow nasty person ;) Kait
The skirt looks amazing! :)
ReplyDeletewhat an amazing diy! you look gorgeous in the skirt, btw :) xx
ReplyDeleteAMAZING. I really want to make one of these now..
ReplyDeleteI love this! The skirt looks amazing!!
ReplyDeleteSabrina
www.onecityowl.com
Can I just be you please? You're so creative and cute that I just want to steal your life. Seriously, this is freaking adorable and I'm incredibly impressed. I'm going to start finding plain things and sending them to you to make prettier for me.
ReplyDeletethis is adorable! popping by to say hi - I had to after you mentioned you're a bookmaker in your comment! I love bookmakers :)
ReplyDelete