The Lone Ranger: A Pop Up Book

Last summer I took a bookbinding class that focused on pop ups, interactive, and moveable books. It was taught by Carl Barton so it was not only incredibly fun— but extremely informative as well. Ever since then, I've made it a point to keep an eye out for neat pop up books when I'm out thrifting so that I can "study" them. They're mostly children's books so far, but I have a small growing collection of pop ups in my studio now. I thought it would pretty selfish of me to keep them all to myself, so today I am sharing one of my favorites with you! I'm sorry if this post takes awhile to load for you— there are four animated GIFS I made to show you how some of the interactive parts work so you'll have to scroll slowly— I promise it's worth it though!
KQzvF7 on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs
Xc5Q0Y on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs

picasion.com
resize gif
How do you feel about pop up books? I just think they are incredible! Sometimes I feel a teensy bit bad for buying them all up from the children's books sections butttttt they are kinda like textbooks for me. But like really fun, inspirational textbooks that you actually want to read. I want to I'm going to create a series of pop up greeting cards so I can practice specific paper engineering techniques and learn how to better incorporate them into books. I'm pretty excited about it and they'll be available in my Etsy shop when it opens!

Ps. Do gifs remind anyone else of the newspapers in Harry Potter? (omg i'm obsessed. . . )

redrosevintage

12 comments:

  1. This book is pretty amazing with perfect craftsmanship! I took a bookmaking class and just some of the binding were super intricate! This looks great!

    -Hannah
    Thirsty World Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, hannah! pop up books are so complicated. it's very rewarding when you figure out how to engineer what you want. have you made any books since the class?

      Delete
  2. That book is awesome! My fiance's brother got him this *incredible* pop-up book based on Frankenstein for Christmas last year, and it blew my mind the first time I looked through it. I love pop-up books, cards, etc... reminds me so much of being a kid! It's a kind of flair I'm not sure I'll ever tire of. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that book looks fantastic! there is a harry potter pop up book and i want to buy like ten copies of it so i can take it apart and figure out the magic!

      Delete
  3. I love pop up books! Thanks so much for sharing. This post got me feeling all nostalgic. I can't wait til I have kids so I can get awesome pop up books again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad i have an "excuse" to enjoy them as an adult ;-)

      Delete
  4. I never really thought of popup books as art, but looking at all your close up photos (and awesome gifs!) They definitly are. And yes, they definitly remind me of the newspapers in harry potter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. now that you've said it i will forever see gifs as extensions of the 'harry potter' world. =) well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yessss! haha i've just got HP on the brain constantly

      Delete
  6. These are so cool, I love the gifs. I don't think I ever had a pop-up book as a child.. I better go get some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, you'll have to find some! they are always super cheap at goodwill.

      Delete