Several weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to put more faith in myself. I wanted to support my ideas and goals the way I tell my dearest friends to stop doing the things they hate and focus on everything they love instead. I realized that the advice I give others and the way I treat myself are unfortunately incongruent. I've never really been a negative person but I haven't really felt like myself in the last few months. After I lost my friend Ricki, all I could do was take a hard look at my life. There was a lot to be proud of, but also a lot that I needed to purge. I finally admitted that I was unhappy with several aspects of my life, and I honestly believe that it was making me physically ill and mentally exhausted.
I made a list of things I wanted to change: negative things to get rid of and positive things to replace them with. I guess I basically decided to overhaul my life. Flash forward to now, and today I am proud to say that I feel better than I have in the last six months. Right now I'm still in a transitional phase, so please bear with me. I'm changing jobs, collaborating with new friends, starting my own business, and feeling more inspired than ever.
I didn't mean for this post to be so long. It was really only my intention to tell you I was inspired by this image and that you should follow Lisa's hand lettering project if you don't already. But I guess I just felt you should know that even though I keep this blog space positive, I have been dealing with a lot lately. And I don't mean to say that so I can complain or to get pity. I just want you to know that if there is something big you are thinking about doing, or a change you know you need to make, or something inside you that says "You are better than that"— then you need to listen to it.
If you don't believe me, then just know that two months ago I decided I wanted to become an event baker and learn to style dessert buffets. Now I'm working with Stockroom Vintage as a styling assistant and picking up these tips and tricks. You guys, this is not a coincidence. This was a very intentional decision to start focusing on my own dreams instead of settling for less. So basically, what I am trying to say, is that I don't want anyone to feel defeated or disenchanted with the world. Life is too short to be unhappy. I don't care if any of this is cheesy. I want you to decide what your dreams are and then go after them. I promise you won't regret it.
Love you so much! You're doing a great job at being my favorite human. Can't stop, won't stop.
ReplyDeleteSuch a great post! I know exactly how you feel and two months ago i was dreaming about working at a tattoo shop and now i am. Its hard being in that transition state but knowing that there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel is so awesome. We can do it!!!! High five sweetie! So proud of you for going for what you want!
ReplyDeleteXo,cb
yes— the transition phase is the most difficult but knowing what's around the corner makes it all worth it. it makes me so happy to see other ladies going for their dreams— high five right back at ya!
DeleteYou are so right. Life is certainly too short to not be happy. People forget that they are in control of their own life and can make it into whatever they want. It's not always easy, but it's always possible if you want it enough.
ReplyDelete"It's not always easy, but it's always possible" is my new favorite motto!
DeleteI love this post! Sometimes I can get really negative about what's going on in my life, but the only person that can change it is me!
ReplyDeleteYou're an awesome example for 'what doesn't kill us makes us stronger'. I love your positive outlook and wish I could be focused like that! Good luck for your life to keep going where you want it to go!
ReplyDeletethanks, annika! i really feel like staying positive is the key for me.
DeleteBeautiful post is beautiful :)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on all of your success!! I definitely agree that it is no coincidence at all!! Good for you for going after your dreams and making them happen!!!
ReplyDeletethank you so much. and i know what you mean about everything feeling so far away. i just try to remember all the things i have accomplished even though i've felt like it before— college, moving to nashville, working in a bakery. i felt like none of those things would ever come to fruition but they all did. hang in there lady, you'll get there sooner than ya think!
ReplyDelete