Chocolate, Photography, & Happiness

spicy chocolate marshmallow
Here's a confession: sometimes I can't decide what the best part of my new job is—eep! I know, I know: it's a pretty great problem to have, right? Working for Kerfluffles Marshmallows is basically like living on cloud nine. But perhaps the biggest perk is the creative control I'm allowed to have coupled with a boss that wants to see me grow + learn new things.
handmade lemon marshmallows
chocolate covered marshmallows
Two of my goals for this year are to learn more about working with chocolate and to improve my photography skills. You wanna work with chocolate? BAM— marshmallow bonbons. You wanna take better pictures? BAM— updated product photos for the website. I can easily say that the last few months of working as a mallow maker, recipe tester, and food stylist have made me better at both of these things.
all natural handmade marshmallows
chocolate dipped marshmallowmarshmallow pops cute
I'm sorry if I sound like an advertisement— I've just never had a job that I wanted to stay at long term and that I believed in 100%. I never talked about it here because I try to keep things positive, but I ended up really hating my job at the cupcakery (which is why I sought out something that was a much better fit for me). But that's another story for another day.
all natural marshmallows
key lime pie marshmallows
Right now, I'm doing the best I can to make myself a better person everyday. I'm just thankful to have a job that can help me achieve that goal. A few months ago, I decided I wanted to learn more about creating dessert tables and food styling in general. And here I am now, making little piles of marshmallows and photographing them for the world to see. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm so excited about the journey. . . and I hope you guys don't mind if I keep sharing it all with you!
marshmallows
wedding favor ideas
(Oh yeah— everything pictured here is on the website through this month! If you're in the market for sweets, my favorite right now is definitely the Key Lime Pie (pro-tip: if you buy this one before the seventeenth then you have a chance to win free mallows!). Followed closely by the Cherry Chip Bonbons. The Cappuccino is great, too— Nick actually giggled after he tasted it for the first time tonight, ha! Anyway, if y'all ever need recommendations or have a flavor you'd like to see then let me know! (Or — let me know what burning questions about my job you guys have!)

Ps: Since someone will probably ask— yes, we do have plans for vegan mallows! We are developing them right now and we definitely want to do it right rather than do it fast :-)

21 comments:

  1. I've definitely been able to see improvement in your photographs from then to now. Not that they were ever bad, but with practice comes ease and comfort that shows in your pictures, along with the little things you learn about framing and setting up a shot. I'm no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I've finally got over a year of learning and practice under my belt with my first dSLR, and it's exciting that I can recognize stuff like that!

    Also, I'm going to TN for a long visit with my family and I'm going to have to see Nashville a time or two while I'm there... Which makes me think I should see you and say hello as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes— i saw the gorgeous seashore photo on fb. it's so nice when we finally become acquainted with our cameras, i love learning new tricks with it everyday!

      also, can't wait until we get together!

      Delete
  2. Your pictures really are stunning and have just made my stomach grumble...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, annika! sorry for the grumbles. . . but i guess that's part of my job ;-)

      Delete
  3. I am really glad that you are so much happier at Kerfluffles. I know that tormenting Jacob on the daily is part of of what makes you the happiest there. But I am sure the styling and creativity are part of it too.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's nice to work for a small company where your ideas are taken seriously— i couldn't really ask for more.

      (except maybe to be closer to you?!)

      Delete
  4. I want those cherry bon bons, damnit! your job sounds amazing! a creative job would be so awesome, I envy you. also, I just tried to convince my husband to let me buy some of those chocolate covered marshmallows, and he said no, but I think I'm going to do it anyway, bwahaha. the funny thing is, I actually don't like marshmallows. but they look so good in the photos. like, extra chewy and dense, haha. are they??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have heard so many people say they never like marshmallows until they tried ours! haha. handmade marshmallows are so, so, so different from the store bought ones. and ours are extra fluffy and just a tiny bit chewier than most. they are only made better if they are dipped in chocolate— i just love them, ahhhh!

      Delete
  5. Your product photos are great! I always envy people who can take really good pictures of food. I'm only good at eating it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahaha, i totally understand. i think the secret to success is shooting down at eye level of the front of the food!

      Delete
  6. Oh my goodness I'm so glad you commented on my blog! The only place I know with marshmallows like this is The Bang Candy Company in Nashville. They usually are pretty low whenever I go though so I'm definitely going to have to try out Kerfluffles =D

    the photos are just so, so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would you believe it— i live in nashville and never even had a handmade marshmallow until i worked here! i will never eat a store bought one again! ps— just lurked your blog even harder and realized you live super close to me! i can't find your email but i wanna add you to my local nashville bloggers list if you are up to it! we usually try to meet up once every month or so— let me know if you are interested! kittycatstevens [at] gmail [dot] com

      Delete
  7. your photos are really beautiful.
    and, im super excited for the vegan mallows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much— i will keep ou posted about them!

      Delete
  8. So weird: I was at Trader Joes today thinking about my new job that I'm stoked about and I was like "Jenna has the coolest job in the world. But mine is a close second."

    Thinking of you all the way in Tucson.

    ps: youre not advertising on my page. Hmm. Use "SWAP" to get it for free mmmkay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh, jes— you are the best! i'm glad you are loving your new job. it makes me incredibly happy to see people pursue something they enjoy. i'm taking a little ad break right now but you beter believe you are at the top of my list when i get back in the game! <3

      Delete
  9. I was JUST about to post how I was sad they all contained gelatin, so yay vegan marshmallows! And I LOVE the arrangements of all those photos above, they're definitely creative and artistic as can be. My favorite photos are the chocolate cayenne (looks delicious!) and the key lime pie ones. yumyum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, faith! i can't wait until the vegan ones are available— i'll definitely be posting about them ;-)

      Delete
  10. so, i'm kind of obsessed. your photos are a dream, your marshmellows sound divine, and you are just too cute. will be following, keep up the lovely work! xoxo chelsea at http://nowismagic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, chelsea! i can' wait to check out your blog!

      Delete
  11. My mouth is watering looking at all of these photos! They are all beautifully taken. So excited you're making vegan ones! I just wish I lived in the US and could order some

    ReplyDelete