Sketchbook Sunday #6: Be Yourself

Hiya, guys! Today I have another edition of Sketchbook Sunday for you to enjoy. I feel like there is so much I could write about this intimate peek inside my current journal— *OR* I could just let it speak for itself and enjoy the freedom of not defending my terrible drawings or mindless ramblings. It is what it is. 


Do you know that moment in a new friendship when you visit someone's house for the first time and everything about a person clicks out of nowhere and you just suddenly understand them? That's kind of how I feel about looking into other people's sketchbooks. (And I guess that's why I started sharing mine with you!)

I was flipping through these pages deciding if I wanted to post them on the internet for everyone to see. I mean, they are not the best drawings or most prolific thoughts— some would even say I should definitely be embarrassed by a few. But then I remembered this post where Bekuh asks, "Why have I retreated to this watered down version of myself?" and I knew then that I really wanted to share them all.

I guess what I'm saying is that you should just like what you like and do what you do and be comfortable with who you are. This post isn't going to resonate with every person that reads it— and I'm okay with that. But it's going to be a lot more fun connecting with the people it does resonate with. . .  I hope I'm making sense here. Anyway, I think that's one of the reasons I like creating handmade books for people to fill up— knowing that it's going to be a judgement free place that's perfect for their scribbles and no else's criticism.

Basically, there's a lot of weird stuff that happens in my head that I don't necessarily blog about but that I might think through in a journal. And I enjoy posting those thoughts and relating to people in ways that aren't just outfits or pretty pictures— that's what this series is all about. So I hope you're into that because THIS BLOG IS MINE AND I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT *insert evil laughter here*

Okay, seriously though— I'm going to just shut up and go watch Arrested Development now. Do you blog about your journal/sketchbook? (Let me know if you do so I can check it out!) If not, is there something that holds you back from blogging about certain things? I meannnnn. . . why have a blog if it's not totally you?

(FUN FACT: This sketchbook was handmade by me and includes a variety of pages ranging from plain drawing paper, to construction paper, to pages made from vintage maps and books. That very top image is of a page made from a blueprint drawn by yours truly back when I studied interior design in college. I changed my major and had all these huge useless drawings so I repurposed them into pages for my future books, huzzah! . . . You know, just in case you were wondering!)

Just a reminder: Google Reader is closing soon but you can Follow on Bloglovin another way to stay updated:

♥ bloglovin // facebook // twitter // tumblr // rss // email ♥

18 comments:

  1. Really cute idea. Love the sketches <3

    GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG. WIN A PAIR OF SHOES

    XX


    glamdevils

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cool sketchbook! I don't really keep sketchbooks even though I scribble and doodle everywhere. And some of it I do share on my blog and/or on Instagram.

    xx Kaisa

    http://reindeertrails.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a lot of people tell me that and i think it's so interesting! i'm not sure i could ever not keep a sketchbook!

      Delete
  3. omgg nice sketches <3 wish i can be as creative as you
    anyway,join my OASAP giveaway and win lovely summer clothing!
    http://bella-moreway.blogspot.sg/2013/05/oasap-giveaway.html

    hope you can participate dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it's all just mindless doodling but i'm working on improving my drawing skills a bit, too.

      Delete
  4. I love sketchbooks :) (Best part of being an artist). These are super duper cool!

    http://amyloosworld.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i totally agree! best way to get to know someone!

      Delete
  5. I LOVE THESE. This, these, all of it. Reminds me of some projects I did a few years ago with old books where painted over pages and collaged the heck out of 'em and made scrapbook/gift/sketchbooks out of them for people. So lovely -- yours is adorable.

    Found you via BBN; definitely hanging on to you! ;)

    Cheers,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those sound like awesome gifts! thanks for all the kind words— this comment made my day!

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love your sketchbook series! It's inspired me so much, I may just have to pick it up myself. Ooo and thanks for the google reader reminder. I almost forgot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my gosh— thank you! you should totally start one! i never think mine is particularly astounding but i've already inspired one person so that is pretty amazing!

      Delete
  7. You are the coolest, cutest person ever. I also really like the blueprints. I also have a bunch of terrible paper I made my freshman year of college if you want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you told me about it before?! of course i want it =]

      also, nuh-uh you are cuter!

      Delete
  8. I went through my old journals and read them to Allen. I've never been so comfortable with someone to do that and even things that were embarrassing I just confidently read to him as we both snickered over the more dramatic entries. I feel like posting them over the internet isn't as nerve racking. It's hard to explain. There are definitely poop heads over the internet that find you, but they don't really bother me, and I have this weird trusting feeling with the people that read my stuff. I figure they have to like me or they wouldn't follow me! Also it helps to see the people I follow being open with personal things so I feel encouraged to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know exactly what you mean! i used to look at my old notebooks and weird collages and cringe but now i think they are neat and silly. i'm not so much embarrassed by them but humored by how much i've learned and grown. i love that you can share your old ones with allen— it's so nice to be around someone that accepts little details like that about us!

      Delete
  9. This Bekuh sounds very wise. Fun post. Let that freak flag fly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love your sketchbook! I used to do collages, doodle, and paint in my sketchbook. I'm now inspired to get back into this and start working with my sketchbook.

    ReplyDelete