What I Wore: Let's Go Nuts

Hello, hello— and welcome, to the most difficult outfit shoot of my blogging career thus far! I think I'm "technically" just supposed to sugar coat this post and be all nonchalant like, "Heyyyy my-darling-plum-muffin-lovelies look at these pics— off to Starbucks! Ciao, Jenna" or whatever buuuuuuut that is not how it happened.
I ventured into my backyard on my day off work with a tripod and then all hell broke loose. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But there was a lot going through my mind as I traipsed back and forth from the camera. It was a little like this:
"Wow, it's really hot outside for 10 am in May."
"Why the heck did I decide to take pictures on a freaking hill?"
"Do I look as sweaty as I feel?"
"Oh god, I think I just ripped my tights on a stick."
"Geeeze, it's hot out here— this tiny sweater is not appropriate for today."
"My hair is going totally Hermione right now."
"Whoaaa, are my shoes breaking?!"
Yeah, that's more like it. Man, I love Tennessee but I can look at my hair in all of these pictures and tell exactly what order they were taken in haha. I mean, I really don't mind taking my own outfit photos— I can only talk Nick into taking so many a month for me. Andddd I promised myself I would branch out and get better with my camera so I was actually excited to spend some time alone snapping these. But this time just felt a little like a disaster.
So maybe you can forgive my sort evil eye in that last photo— I was sweaty, my shoe fell apart, and no one was there to tell me my shorts were riding up (gasp!). But it's still one of my favorite outfits ever. Simple top, high waisted shorts,  tights + flats— it's a classic "me" look. But I'm not going to lie: it was completely inappropriate for the day and I immediately changed into a not sweater top, a flowy skirt, and sans tights. Better luck next time!
glasses: coastal / top: UO / tights: tabbisocks / shorts, shoes, purse: thrifted
Do you guys have any ridiculous "behind the scenes" stories from outfits or blogging adventures? The only advice I have is to always be wearing a squirrel top. I mean, look at how cute he is! No one can be angry while wearing something this silly! Oh, and I'm doing a Q & A type post soon so if there's anything you've been dying to know about me then ask away! Hope you have a great week!

Linking up with Thrifty Thursday— check it out!

♥ bloglovin // facebook // twitter // tumblr ♥

54 comments:

  1. This post made me laugh a little bit, lookin' cute girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be one of the funniest outfit post I have read! Plus yeah, the outfit is awesome, squirrels rule!

    xx Kaisa

    http://reindeertrails.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks— it was a bit too ridiculous not to share!

      Delete
  3. The only time I tried to take photos of myself for my blog, I kept getting photobombed by my naked son. So ended up with dozens of images with a naked little man in, and very little usable images to show off the skirt I had sewn.

    http://iliska-dreams.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this story is golden— i can imagine my nephew doing the same thing! i only get photo bombed by my cat

      Delete
  4. Oh man, for having sort of a crappy photoshoot, these pictures got so good! I am totally digging those shorts - the color is great!

    xoxo,
    Laura
    http://lauraisthriftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think that's my favorite part— i actually kind of love these pictures! but looking at them now, i just have to giggle because i know how silly the entire thing seemed in the moment. i just couldn't not share the experience with everyone here =]

      Delete
  5. Haha, you are too cute! I love those pink shorts and polka dot tights! I've been wanting a pair like that for ages! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, you are too cute! I love those pink shorts and polka dot tights! I've been wanting a pair like that for ages! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks— i'm a sucker for high waisted shorts. i would love to thrift a pair in every color! and i've been obsessed with these tights ever since i got them. i kind of wish they weren't "one size fits all" because it makes them very delicate. but the look is perfect and i have been wearing them with everything!

      Delete
  7. I think we all have photoshoots like that- I had one where some sort of loop thing to hang up the pants was coming up the top of the waistband etc. The thing to remember is- in the end you looked amazing in these pictures. This is an adorable outfit and your hair still manages to look good despite the humidity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kristian— i felt like people would appreciate an honest post, especially those that have been there before haha. we'll just call it an extremely successful learning experience ;-)

      Delete
  8. Haha, I LOVE your honesty. You've captured 99% of the reasons I don't do outfit posts. Tennessee humidity is 75% of the reason! :-p

    Regardless of how gross it might have felt, the photos look great. I love the gorgeous greenery around in the first picture, and the way your salmon shorts pop against the green. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know right? looking at these pictures i'm kind of amazed at how my backyard looks on camera— it's so green and magical. but you and all the other southern gals know the truth about the circumstances surrounding these haha. and i 100% understand why people don't do outfit posts. i like to do a few every now and then just because i thrift such neat stuff sometimes. but i think i'm going to lean more towards outfit photos that mostly feature thing's i've made/sewn. (at least for the summertime!)

      Delete
  9. This outfit is so adorable! And I would have had no idea the shoot was a disaster, the photos turned out awesome. I seriously need to get me some dotty tights too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks— i do agree that why were well worth the effort! i just couldn't pretend otherwise haha. and you should definitely get polka dots tights— they go with *everything*!

      Delete
  10. I think it's funny that you aren't thrilled with how your hair looks in these photos because I think it looks exactly like what I WISH my hair would do! Boo Tennessee humidity, this summer I get to look forward to flat, straight hair :B hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha well of course i chose the photos with the best hair ;-) and i'm still learning how the heck to style long (for me) hair— i'm used to having hair shorter than yours! right now i just curl the crap out of it with a wand and then comb the curls out but i think braids will be my best friend in this humidity!

      Delete
  11. Hahah! You kill me. I think your hair looks great!

    Also, I'm loving that shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, lauren! i want everything i own to have an animal on it!

      Delete
  12. too cute! I am obsessed with animal sweaters. I love this look especially your pink glasses I am thinking of getting some pink glasses soon
    XO Ilana @ My Modern Vintage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! you should get some— they surprisingly go with everything!

      Delete
  13. That top and those tights <3 <3!! A lady practically ran me over with her mini van once while I was taking photos...but that's probably as ridiculous as it has ever gotten :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eep— glad you are okay! the things we do for blogs, amirite? ;-)

      Delete
  14. haha oh the joys of hot and humid summer days are here. Love the look though! :)
    xoxo Aimee
    bowsandbeau-ties.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, aimee! i could do without the humidity but i still love Tennessee so much!

      Delete
  15. Ha I know exactly how you feel. The heat, humidity, and mosquitoes are my enemies outside right now! But, you look super awesome despite the challenges! I love those shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and yes— the mosquitos!!! i think i will be shooting inside from now on. . .

      Delete
  16. That top is adorable! And I have moments similar where I'll get the bright idea to take a photo around noon and I'm totally squinting so it looks like my eyes are closed. Go us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, so guilty! haha let's just call these "learning opportunities" :-)

      Delete
  17. Your top is adorable! I love squirrels so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahaha I love your behind the scenes thoughts, mostly because I do the same exact thing. I love all the little details in this outfit, it's so fun! I want to steal those tights and that bag. If you hear someone breaking into your house at night, don't worry, it's just me. (Could I be an creepier? ...yes. Yes, I could.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your comments are always the best! i'll be sure to leave a spare key for you to find. . . wouldn't wanna make the stealing of cutes clothes more complicated than necessary!

      Delete
  19. I think you did a great job with these photos, I love the squirrel sweater! In my earlier blogging days, I was taking pictures using my tripod, and the wind knocked my tripod over and my camera shattered. Thank goodness it was a cheap camera, but it was a bummer....

    Adrienne
    What Lola Wants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was always nervous about that but i have a pretty sturdy tripod nowadays! it's still a huge concern—eep!

      Delete
  20. haha you are hilarious!! I've never tried taking pictures via tripod before. I imagine it must be challenging to get the right angles/distance, no? My husband usually takes the pictures and he can be pretty funny to watch- especially when he drops things, or runs into walls because he's not looking. So far nothing too ridiculous, but I will let you know :)
    Your outfit is so cute! I LOVE that squirrel sweater! It goes nicely with your shorts and polkadot tights. thanks for sharing!
    Christy
    Sunny with a side of...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is challenging! that is why i am usually standing near a stick or tree— so i can focus on that and then hop in the frame. . . it's quite an ordeal but i think it's (usually) kinda fun!

      Delete
  21. Love this post! Thank you for your honesty....I often feel my dry sense of humor gets easily overlooked when I blog, so I appreciate yours in each post.You are hilarious and look super cute in that sweater!!
    ~Margaret
    www.nakednhungry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thank you! i've been trying to "write how i talk" so people feel like they know me a little better. . it can be challenging for us humorists though!

      Delete
  22. Love this outfit; those polka-dot tights are fantastic! Plus, I think all of us bloggers appreciate hearing about those less than glamorous "behind the scenes" feelings.
    Sidenote: The Hermione hair totally works for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, sara. i've decided that since i live in the south i am going to embrace the frizz!

      Delete
  23. Hahaha, that's really funny. I would never have guessed anything from the photos because they look great. I really want polka dot tights. The first time I was using my tripod, one of the dogs decided to poop right next to it. So I was smiling at the camera and trying to ignore the pooping dog right next to it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, how glamorous! i think it makes the photos even better when we know ridiculous stories like that!

      Delete
  24. hermione hair, for-the-win. those shorts fit you like a dream. that shirt is absolutely amazing. this post was hilarious and quite possibly the best thing i will read all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, chrissy! i really wich it were possible to thrift these in every color! perhaps that will be my summer goal . . .

      Delete
  25. haha thanks, marlen! it's pretty silly how different the actual shoot was to the photos that came out =]

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just found your blog thru the lovely Gypsybeee thrifting blog hop. I'm so happy I did! What a seriously lovely blog you have, I'm now your newest follower via bloglovin. :) xx

    Lemon-freckles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look beautiful, I love this outfit. The polka dot tights with the pink shorts is just an adorable combo. In the pictures I can't tell you were going through the mill! I've had pictures taken when I've fallen over mid way through, ripped tights, slipped over, but never all at once!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hattitude Style Blog

    ahahahahah i died laughing at your behind the scenes jenna. hillarious! you're my new favourite blogger.

    talk soon wild child
    -Hattie
    Hattitude Style Blog

    ReplyDelete