I just wanted to take a minute to show you a peek of the little engagement party I baked for earlier this month. My friend Katie Beth was the host and visionary behind it. We kept a little southern flair to the party by sticking with gingham, burlap and twine accents, and of course— southern desserts. I made Whiskey Pecan Pie, Red Velvet Cupcakes, and Sunflower Oreo Cupcakes.
I mentioned here that I'm just starting to create + feel inspired again and it's things like this that are really helping. You would think that a full-time baker would want to go home and just pretend the kitchen doesn't exist. But for me, getting to bake + decorate for something like this is actually what is keeping me going. I realized recently that (although I like my job) it's not my dream to bake 1,200+ cupcakes a day for someone else's business. I want more variety, more challenges, and more control than I have right now.
So I guess right here and right now is the time to admit this dream of mine! I'd like to solely bake for specific occasions and personal events someday. I want to make the menu, create the vision, and call the shots. I guess I'd rather spend my time curating dessert tables than standing in front of a hot oven, baking the same cupcakes from memory week after week. Perhaps it's a silly goal but maybe it just makes sense for me? It does feel like the perfect fit for my background— interior designer turned baker. Who knows? Maybe next month I'll change my mind— but hopefully not because I've already got a wedding to bake for!
wow, everything looks so pretty and delicious! And I definitly feel you on baking things outside of work. I remember when I was in culinary school and then working in a bakery after, I just wanted to bake for fun. Something I wanted to make. I think you'd be awesome at having your own business where you bake for events and call all the shots!
ReplyDeleteglad there is someone else out there that can relate to CONSTANTLY wanting to bake!
DeleteYou could totally do your own baking/catering business! Sounds way fun. And this party is perfectly southern, love it!
ReplyDeletethank you! i'm doing cupcakes for a wedding next month so *hopefully* this is the start of something great!
Deletethis looks amaaaaaaazing x20. everything is so lovely!! x
ReplyDeletethank you <3 everyone's support makes it feel like a real possibility someday!
DeleteI love this idea! You can do it! These photos are mouth watering. I think I'm going to go pin all of them right now :)
ReplyDelete*blushinggg*
DeleteI love the cute swirly hand writing on the food labels. So cute - especially with the gingham
ReplyDeletethank you— i'm learning it's all in the little details like that!
DeleteWhat a gorgeous table! I love to be covered in flour in my off time :)
ReplyDeleteyes— a fellow foodie! <3
DeleteLOVELY!!
ReplyDelete